Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Feminine Appeal

My lovely friend, Michelle, challenged me to read a book called Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney.  The focus is on the seven virtues of a godly wife and mother found in Titus 2:3-5-

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine.  They are to teach what is good, and o train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."

As I study my way through this book, I hope to reflect on it and enlighten others each day.  There is so much wisdom in finding a mentor, someone who has done life, who has gained wisdom, and who is willing to spread a little on to you.  I'm so thankful to have a beautiful role model in my mother, who has shown nothing but love to all she interacts with.

This first chapter talks about adorning the gospel with our lives, because whether or not we realize it, people are always watching us.  We have the chance to illuminate and draw attention to the untouchable, gracious word of God by our choices, our words, and our actions.  Our conduct has a direct influence on how people think about the gospel.  When I stop to think about my own actions, I would hope that they "adorn" the gospel, that the things I choose to do and say cause people to wonder why I'm different.  Sadly, I don't think I always do a great job.  Not only do my actions falter, but I realize that if someone were to find out some of the thoughts I have, they would be appalled.  My desire is to accept the amazing grace of God and to continue to be changed, transformed, and moved to better reflect his glory and his holiness.  I desire to be a Titus 2 woman.

No comments: