Sunday, March 14, 2010

Penned Words

I have devoted this overcast Sunday afternoon to writing. It should be no surprise to you that I have an agenda for doing so... well, of course I do - me, the obsessive list-maker. There are a few things that are necessary when I set aside time for writing: a warm beverage, a blanket, and headphones. Some might think it's strange that I listen to music while I write, especially if I'm writing something in particular. But this is how I drown out the cheerleaders on Mac's basketball game, the sound of the dishwasher (YES, I have a dishwasher!), and focus my thoughts. I actually gain a lot of inspiration from lyrics as well. So, here I sit... A WEASel mug full of my newly purchased Vanilla Red Tea, my heavy red blanket wrapped around my lap, and the new Needtobreathe Album streaming through my ears, ready to put the pen to paper. Figuratively speaking.

Everyone knows that no one uses pen and paper anymore. When I speak of this writing, I really mean typing. And that's what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly appreciate the art of actual writing, like practicing my handwriting. And I do, every day at 6:30 am. But, when I'm on a roll, working on my blog, my letter to my dearest husband or my novel that needs some tender loving, the speed of typing is mandatory.

Oh, well there ya go. On the agenda for writing this afternoon:
1. Blog. I've been pretty good about updating the food blog lately, been okay about updating this one, and terrible about updating the family one. Today, I'm accomplishing a post by writing about how I'm going to write.

2. A letter to my husband. During our dating years, especially when we would be 7 hours apart in the summer, we used to write each other letters. There's something inexpressibly romantic about writing a letter to the one who makes your heart skip a beat. We've been married for 1 1/2 years and I haven't written him a letter once during our marriage. I think its time to do so.

3. My novel. A while back I let out a little secret that I would be writing a book. The topic remains undisclosed as I don't want to set myself any expectations. Also, there is no outline. No timeline. No deadline. Nothing. It's just coming about as the Lord leads and puts words on my heart to add. I have a couple pages done. Not nearly anything to rave about yet. It's just a baby.

So now, I shall move on to agenda point #2. Have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments: