It brought tears to my eyes when I walked in and his whole face lit up - smiles and all - which was a huge improvement from last time when he showed no facial expression. I asked him if he remembered me and he said very quietly (as he says everything very quietly), "Yes, you're Mikaela" with a huge smile on his face. I miss him so much.
I sat with him for about 2 hours, talking to him, watching cartoons with him, and helping him when he needed something. As far as conversation goes, he fully understands everything said to him, and much better at responding to me. He is able to talk in full sentences, as mentioned previously, but it takes him a long time to complete one. I noticed the trend was getting stuck at specific nouns. For example, he could easily say "I want a..." but when it came to what exactly he wanted, he had a hard time finding the right word or being able to say it. It was very apparent that this frustrated him and he kept getting agitated when he couldn't finish his thought. It took him about 10 minutes to complete the sentence "I want a toy." On the other hand, the factual side of his brain seems to be fully present - when I asked him if he knew that Christmas was coming soon, he said "yes, in thirteen days." He also said in response to the snow outside that he wanted to wear his boots.
He's very good at helping to push his wheelchair, and likes to get out of it when he can. I even got to see him walk to the bathroom (with a bit of assistance from the nurse). He let me know he needed to use the bathroom, that he wanted to lay down on his bed, and that he was hungry for dinner, all of which I was able to tell the nurse. As his verbal communication is slowly coming back, he is also learning to sign, and will sign "yes" to questions when I can't understand his mumbles or his head movements. (He has a lot of ticks and twitches still).
I know he's lonely... he really did not want me to leave, but he was about to fall asleep, so I told him I would come back next week, which made him happy. Keep the prayers coming - it's looking hopeful! Good will come of this whole situation, and I'm still praying that God works on my heart and helps me find more little blessings; like talking more with other people who care for N, and appreciating the little guy for who he is, hardships and all. The situation has allowed me to converse more with co-workers I don't normally talk to, so that has been helpful in feeling a little more connected up here. But, I don't want to turn the attention of this hardship on me at all - it's about N and about God making his glory known through it all.
Like always, I will keep you all updated when I know more. As for now, we can only expect good news.
1 comment:
Wonderful blessing, you are to him, and God is to you, my dear. Love you
Post a Comment