Monday, March 2, 2009

Dairy-Free

For those of you who don't know, I have an intolerance to lactose.  (I don't like to title people, and therefore try not to say "lactose intolerant").  Yes, I'm weird. I know. I'm also tired, and under the weather.  Therefore, should not be writing a post right now.  But, I can't help it because I'm excited.  I just found a website that has lots and lots and lots of dairy-free (and in turn, lactose-free) recipes, cookbooks, and links.  www.godairyfree.org 

I like cheese and ice cream too much to give it up completely, although I've been trying for a long time, because I feel much better when I don't consume dairy products.  But, I think websites like this one will help me finally omit dairy from my diet completely, as I can now count on actually good-tasting recipes that don't have any milk products.  Woohoo! 

Wish me luck as I attempt to get rid of the amazing tillamook cheese, butter, and yogurt in my fridge.  Milk is not something that gets me, as I don't like it anyway, although I do use it to bake with... And yogurt, actually, contains lactase in its live cultures (which is what my body doesn't have enough of) to break down the lactose for me, so I can eat yogurt.  And we're too frugal to buy ice cream... so really, it's just the butter and cheese (and occasional sour cream/buttermilk in recipes) that I have to cut out.  Also, wish my husband luck as he shares dairy-free dinners and baked goods with me.

This was a random post. sorry. but i'm excited.

1 comment:

Mrs.Wade said...

so I was checking my other blogs after I read this and looky what I found for you on a link! :D

http://chowreview.blogspot.com/

just on the first page she had a couple dairy-free recipes (and some other yumminess), just thought I'd share :)