Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Something to Nurture!!

Mac and I finally found something we agree that I can nurture!  

Our new addition to the family is:

1.)  not alive... well, not really.
2.) needs to be fed every 24 hours.
3.) doesn't smell very good until later in its life.
4.) is a bit touchy on the environmental temperature.
5.) benefits us both greatly!

Any guesses?

I wish it were a puppy or a baby, but obviously those would both be most definitely alive and need to be fed more than every 24 hours... the other 3 qualifications fit just fine.  Anyway, we're adding a sourdough starter to our family, and it's going to be my pet.  Mainly, because I have to take care of it and "feed" it every 24 hours and keep it "alive" so that it will continue to make wonderfully yummy bread for us.  I'm not quite sure what recipe I'm going to use for the actual bread yet, but I do know I will use whole wheat flour, olive oil, and honey - if needed.  For the starter, I'm going with this:  http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

Not only can we make bread, but we will be able to make pancakes, rolls, bagels, and many other things (as soon as I find recipes for them!).  Also, making my own bread is going to save on money and be better for us.  Homemade bread generally takes about 5 ingredients (flour, water, salt, and a little oil and sugar sometimes), whereas store-bought bread has approximately 15 ingredients, many of which cannot be pronounced.  Mac really like sourdough bread, and I like the idea of making bread without store-bought yeast, since flour contains yeast already, and just needs time in the fermentation process to mix with the bacteria for leavening.  

That said, I've given up on asking for a puppy, realized I can't keep a plant alive without sunlight, and settled for a pet sourdough starter.  How sad but wonderfully simple my life has become! :)


1 comment:

Mrs.Wade said...

its not sad it's not sad! you'll have to let me know how this goes cuz I was really scared to do a sourdough starter...maybe after we move