Oh, the honesty of 9-year-old boys; especially those that sadly have been handed a plateful of diagnoses.
Conversation [names withheld for confidentiality...:)]:
Me: You never stop talking, N!
N: Yeah, 'previous worker' would always say Quit giving me a headache!
Me: No, they didn't - they would never say something like that to you.
N: I know... I always knew they were joking because they didn't have their serious face. But, when I'm acting out and I'm biting you, you say "There is NO biting!", you have your angry face on so I know you're not kiddin' around.
Me: (holding back loads of laughter) Well, I don't like being bit... but, I have an angry face?
N: Oh yeah! When you have your angry face, I know you mean business.
It's amazing to me how much can be said through facial expressions and body language. Communication definitely goes beyond words. What allows connection, however, is the ability to discern and interpret what exactly a person is trying to communicate. We must really hear, not just listen; see, not just view; understand, not just comprehend; and respond, not just receive. This, is what life is all about. Be careful what you attempt to communicate, and take extra care to really get what others are trying to say.
1 comment:
This is HILARIOUS :) haha, I was laughing out loud in the library and i think people were looking at me funny...
Post a Comment