Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Raising Kids

I won't pretend I'm an expert on raising children, because I've never raised one of my own.  I also won't deny that I know a lot about teaching kids and have spent my fair share of time caring for little ones.  Nonetheless, I found this passage quite enlightening.  It fit right in line with a sermon we heard a couple weeks ago also regarding parenting.

Judges 13 shares the story of Samson's birth.  An angel comes to his parents to inform them that they will have a child (Samson's mother was barren just like Sarah, Rebekah, and Elizabeth). Knowing this kid is going to special, Samson's dad asks the angel "What is to be the child's manner of life and what is his mission?" (Judges 13:12).  Wow, wouldn't you like God to answer that question regarding your child's life, not to mention a calling for your life?? Believe it or not, the angel gives him an answer.  Listen closely, though, because as usual, an unexpected answer is given.  The angel replies, "Of all that I said to the woman [Samson's mother], let her be careful. She may not eat anything that comes from the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, or eat anything unclean.  All that I commanded her let her observe" (Judges 13:13-14).  

The angel didn't say specifically what Samson would grow up to be, or how he would live his life.  Instead, he gave a direct calling to Samson's mother (the specifics of which aren't the focus) - that she must be faithful and obedient as a path for Samson's mission.  How often to parents or role models (such as myself) attempt to push children one way or another.  We teach and teach and teach, but how often do we actually model the obedience to the Lord that we ask for from them?  How often do we fulfill our mission in life as we expect them to seek a direction?  

I know this is just one short passage in the old testament.  But how would our lives change if we followed the example this story?  How would our children's lives change if we set the example for them before we set the expectations on them?

1 comment:

Mrs.Wade said...

That's so good Mikaela, I love that observation. I read Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp last semester and it really falls in line with what you're saying here. You should check it out, it's a wonderfully inspiring book! AND, you, are wonderfully inspiring :) Thanks friend :)
love you!