Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Songs

God is a lover of music... I know it because from the very beginning, songs have been written in expression of joy, of sorrow, of victory, and of pain.  All the way back in Genesis, one could find songs written by the Israelites as God proved faithful to save them from the enemy.  The Lord requests that we sing songs of praise; the angels lift their voices high to sing out "Hallelujah". Everyone carries the potential for a song in their souls.

I find myself longing for words sometimes, and all I can do is look up the lyrics to a song already written.  The mix of poetry and melody soothes my heart in a way unexplainable, yet I think everyone would understand my connection.  In times of depression, I ache to sit down at my most prized worldly possession (my piano) and let out all that is kept within me through the flow of my fingers over the black and whites.  Music is the universal language - everyone understands the mood, emotion, and message of songs, no matter what the words are.  Myself quite experienced in language barriers, I love that music can bring two very different people who are far away, unbelievably close.  I guess in all this rambling, I just want to thank God for the gift of music and for blessing certain people with the talent of song-writing.  On that note, when you lack words, when you are in need of comfort, go find a song.  You'll know the one.

My favorite lyrics of all time are "Worlds Apart" by Jars of Clay...

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

The lyrics to Worlds Apart might be my favorite, as well. Good call on that. Come Thou Fount has been in the running ever since a professor explained the obscure sections. I think I need to go listen to Jars of Clay right now...